In the past when you were building international sites, web masters are told a lot of wrong information.
- If you have a site for the US and one for the UK you do not need to make the content unique between the 2.
- Specify in google webmaster tools what domain is for what country
- Unless terminology is different there is no need to make unique content. E.G Muffler in the US, Silencer in the UK.
- No need to disallow duplicate content on different sites serving different sets of users in different countries.
- Language Settings
- Make sure you use the correct hreflang setting on your site.
- Geotargeting Settings
- Do not set the geotargeting setting if your site has a worldwide reach
- Do set if your site is only for 1 country only
- Sub domains with generic Top Level Domains
- de.example.com is as good as example.de
- allows for different server locations.
- yes you can run all off the 1 server
In case you think we are talking junk, please see the references below from Googles instructions on GeoTargeting.